Sorry for the delay in posting. I do need some advice though. Aaron has been addicted to a pacifier (or "plug" as we call it because it plugs him up when he's crying) ever since he was only a few days old. Well, Wal-Mart stopped making the particular kind we were using and so did the company aparently. We had three and were trying our best to keep track of them. Ever since he's gotten his teeth he likes to chew on them. They started cracking right at the base of the bulb and we were scared that he'd bite it off and either choke on it or swallow it. We lost one quite some time ago and then the second one we kept as long as we thought was safe, then we got to the point where we HAD to toss it. We were down to our last one. By the way, about four or five months ago we finally got it to where he only used it for naps and bedtime. The other night we noticed that that one was cracking as well. Ron just didn't trust to give it to him anymore so Monday night was the first night without it. It actually went better than expected, but that may be because he was super tired that night. Then Tuesday we layed him down for his nap and only cried for a few minutes and then fell asleep. Then the night-time was about the same as naptime - falling asleep after only a little bit of crying. Well, naptime today is a completely different story. He's been crying for about an hour now and I know he's exhausted but refuses to go to sleep. I think he sounds like he's going to finally give in to sleep soon. Hopefully tonight goes better than naptime. Does anyone out there have any advice or do I just endure to the end and pray this only lasts for a couple days???
Wednesday, September 27, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Hey Janelle! I found your blog from off of Sarah's. I like your slide show. Very cute pictures of Aaron. He's grown a lot from when I saw him last Christmas. It's funny how kids get attached to one kind of pacifier. Wesley would only take the one he had been given in the nicu at the hospital, and I couldn't find them anywhere. He loved it too. We couldn't go anywhere without it. I feel like I spent a lot of my life searching for that thing. We were just thinking of trying to get him off of it when we lost it for good. I was really dreading the night, but he did fine without it. I was really surprised, but he also has a blankie and I think that helped. So maybe you can replace it with a stuffed animal that he really likes or a blankie - something like that? Well, tell Ronald hi for me. Since his sister is married to my brother does that make us related somehow? Pretty scary! :) Talk to you later!
Hi Treasure!!! Nice to hear from you! I read Sarah's, Alia's, Matt's, and Ruth's blogs!!! It's so awesome being able to see everybody and communicate at least a little bit even though all of us are in every corner of the globe, or so it seems. Maybe you should start one too!!! Honestly, if I can do it surely anybody can!!! How is the new baby doing? Tell me how different it is having two babies than just one? Thank you for the advice on the current situation. He's got a couple blankies that he always goes down with, but I may have to try the stuffed animal thing. We started the plug in the first place because we didn't want a thumb sucker. Everyone kept telling me, you can throw those things away, but there thumb is ALWAYS there. I just hope it gets better soon. Tell Jandro we say "hello". Take care and I hope to talk to you more through this thing!!!
Janelle, since he's already gone without it a few times, maybe you should just try to wait it out. Don't make the mistake of giving in to the crying that we did. Maia will be 3 in November and she still has her plug, or as she calls it 'Maia-binky.' It's a nightmare. - Sarah
I'm with Sarah and Treas don't give it back to him in a few days he will forget about it and it will be as though he never had one, and the blanket thing works too.
Tell my brother hello and I sent him a birthday gift that I think is fitting hope he and you do too.
Love, Melis
Sarah and Melis,
Thank you so much for the advice. I knew there was no way I was going to give it back to him once we had taken it away, even as awful as it gets sometimes. I would hate to have to do something like this more than once. After a couple days he is getting better. Hopefully another day or two and it will be as if he never had one!!!
Hey Janelle, I know this is after the fact, and I am sure Aaron is all over his binkie, but my advice for the next one is to take it away at a year. "They" say that babies don't need a binkie after about 6 months, from then on it just turns into a habit. Brooklynn was very attached to hers, but it just disappeared when she turned one and she didn't even miss it. Carter's will disappear then also. Heidi
Hi there Heidi!!!! Good to hear from you! Thank you for the advice. Yes, I know I should have taken it away long before we did. I had actually planned on taking it away when he turned 1, but I kept making excuses like "we have church tonight so he needs to get a good nap" or "we have to go here tonight and he'll need to be a happy camper so his nap needs to be a good one". I knew what it was goint to be like taking it away and kept dreading it and putting it off. Going through it isn't very fun, but at least it's fairly short-lived. Yes, he is over it now and all is well. We have to watch him in the nursery though, because he likes to take the other kid's plugs and put them in his mouth. Anyway, thank you again for the comment. Don't be a stranger!!!
Good afternoon, I am a little behind time on your blog, sorry, I have been busy careing for dad. In that one picture of our grandson he looks so much like Brend's Josh. Glad to hear the plug ordeal is over. You and Ron are doing a great job as parents keep up the good work and I know it is work. Love you guys, give Aaron a kiss from nana
Post a Comment