Friday, September 15, 2006

Microwave Mayhem

I'm not sure if I should tell you about this story or not for fear it might return to haunt me later. But, I think this is pretty important to warn everyone else NOT to do what I did.
I was being a nice little mommy and wanted to fix French Toast Sticks for Aaron for breakfast the other morning. I pulled them out of the freezer and put them on a plate and proceeded to put them in the microwave for about three minutes. I turned them over halfway through and when they were done I pulled them out. I figured they would be done since they were sizzling. So I went ahead and put some syrup on them, but when I tried cutting them into little pieces they wouldn't even budge. I just figured they were still a little frozen. I put them back in the microwave (you haven't forgotten the part where I already put syrup on them) for about four more minutes. I went into our pantry to get something else and when I came back into the kitchen I thought it smelled a little odd. I looked at the microwave and all I saw was white through the little window (aka SMOKE!!!). I immediately stopped it and opened the door. Smoke literally billowed out of the door along with an overwhelming burnt smell, so I shut the door again and I noticed the smoke was coming out the back of the microwave. Not really knowing what to do next I went ahead and opened the door again, hoping and praying that the smoke alarm wouldn't go off and scare Aaron to death. I also turned on the fan above the oven which proceeded to suck the smoke away. I am so very thankful that the syrup didn't actually catch on fire. So, the moral of this story - do not, I repeat DO NOT put syrup in the microwave, at least not on French Toast Sticks that are going in the microwave. Aaron was just standing there watching the whole thing in amazement, probably thinking to himself - "Mom, why did you do that?" And "why does it smell so bad in here?"
So, my secondary reason for exposing my stupidity - does anyone know how in the world I can get smoke smell out of my microwave????????

4 comments:

Shannon Smith said...

Sorry to hear about your microwave troubles and thanks for the tip about syrup. As to your question - I have no clue how to get smoke out. Have you figured anything out yet?
Have a great week!!

Janelle said...

Nope. It's still a little smelly when you run it, but I think it will maybe - HOPEFULLY - go away after a little while. You guys have a great week too!!!

Jenny (Parker) Pittsley said...

That's really weird, Nell! My aunt's favorite way of making waffles is to load them with butter and syrup when they're frozen and then nuke them, and I don't remember ever dealing with smoke. Once I tried to soften some butter and the microwave sparked like I'd put in metal. Moral of the story: microwaves are unpredictable? :)

Anonymous said...

Nell I think you are only supposed to put those things in for a minute at least that is what ours say. Have a great week. Tell Ron I missed the call this weekend