Thursday, February 08, 2007

Do you celebrate Valentine's Day?

Maybe I'm getting old, or maybe I'm just cheap, but celebrating Valentine's Day seems almost silly to me. Ron and I have discussed this many times and we've decided that we think Hallmark created this holiday just so they could make more money. I told him it was crazy to get me roses because for one thing they raise the price just for this particular holiday, plus they are dead a week later. Don't get me wrong, I love roses but sometimes think it's pointless because they last such a short time. And I definitely don't need any candy. It's hard enough to watch everything else I eat and having the temptation around is just too much! Ron says that it's not fair that every commercial on TV shows expensive, fancy necklaces and such for the girls, and $6 silly looking boxers that the guys won't ever wear anyway. I told Ron that it's nice to take a day and spoil the one you love and his reply was, why do you need just one day? Why don't you spoil the one you love every day? I think we're going to just go to our chruch's Valentine's Banquet and make it a point to enjoy each other a little bit more each day, not just one day a year! So, I'm taking a poll to see how many people celebrate Valentine's Day and how extravagant to you go on this holiday?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

We don't do any holidays extravagantly and Valentine's Day is no exception. I actually don't really like roses so Matt usually buys me a bunch of tulips - my faves! I cook a nice extra special dinner and we usually play a game or watch a movie together. I've also told Matt what kind of chocolates I'd like (they're on sale at our local drug store for $4 this week). :) As Chloe gets older I'll probably incorporate some kind of special treat - heart shaped jello or some such nonsense. ;)

Anonymous said...

I don't really have a Valentine's Day recipient, so, about all I get in "celebrating" Feb. 14 is my church's Valentine's Banquet (which is usually not on Feb 14).

Sherri said...

Josh and I agree with you wholeheartedly. It's a relief to know we're not the only ones. :) Our pastor actually had all the ladies raise their hands if they didn't enjoy getting flowers and celebrating Valentine's Day, and there were only two of us who raised our hands! Josh is always going out of his way to show me how loved I am, so I don't mind if he doesn't do anything extra for me on a particular day. He usually wants to buy me flowers and take me to dinner, and I always ask him to buy me dinner and give me a raincheck for another dinner out instead of the flowers. At least dinner is something that we can both enjoy together.

I also wanted to tell you that I really like your new wheels! It's a beautiful color.

Shannon Smith said...

I am probably not a good person to reply to this because I love Valentine's day! Josh usually gets me flowers and we may go out for dinner.