Friday, November 03, 2006

Potty Training?

This picture was taken two months ago. We thought we should at least start getting Aaron used to the idea of sitting on a potty. It's all I can do to keep him occupied while he's on there long enough for anything to happen. He's actually gone on the big potty once, but I don't think he realized what he did - he was too busy playing. We decided that maybe he would use a potty chair a little more and that he would think it was pretty neat since it would be just his size. Well, as you can see by the following pictures, he thinks it's more of a toy. He really doesn't like sitting on the little potty chair to actually try to go. However, he does like to sit on it fully clothed. He thinks it's a fun little game. The following picture, I found that he had gone into the bathroom and pushed the potty chair into the living room and proceeded to sit on it, or should I say "in" it and watch Sesame Street. I had to grab the camera and get a picture.

















Then he saw me with the camera so he started showing off and really just playing on it.




The other pictures are of him playing with his potty chair on another day. Notice the little potty seat is also there on the floor. Don't worry, it's completely clean! Since this day we've kept that bathroom door shut until we need to go in and use them, IN THE BATHROOM!


But about this potty training thing - I don't really know what I'm doing. I've heard a lot of advice already, but I know there has to be someone out there who has the magic secret. I would love to hear more advice if you have any. By the way, Aaron is 19 months old right now, do you think I'm crazy to start potty training this early? I will keep you updated on the progress, if and when that ever is!!!

3 comments:

Amy Martin said...

Janelle,
I don't think it's too early at all. Cheyenne was 16 months when she was done and Travis was 21 months. I wish I would have been more faithful and dedicated to training Travis earlier, but it's done now and I'm ever so grateful. Cheyenne was super easy, but Travis was a bit of a handful. The thing that finally ended up working was recommended by my sister-in-law. She said to just give he as much to drink as he wanted and have the potty chair in whatever room you're in the most. We used it in our frontroom and I sat with him all day for 2 whole days and he finally figured out how it all worked together. :) That would be my recommendation if you have the time. It takes alot of time and complete attention, but it works.

Sherri said...

Hi Janelle,

What precious pictures!! I just can't get over how cute he is.

I've had lots of experience with potty training, especially boys. Every baby is different, but these are the things that worked best for my boys: For the first couple of days, just to get them used to being asked if they have to go, and making the connection with actually going, I would set my timer to go off every hour, and I would sit them on it. When they would go, I would make a HUGE deal out of it, clapping and saying "Yay, you're so big!", and immediately giving them an M&M. (They associate the sweet with a positive experience, and are rewarded for work well done.) I think the "keys" to successful, and expedient potty training are first consisitency, and only letting them wear diapers or pull-ups when they are napping and at night, and getting them up immediately upon waking and sitting them on the potty. Keep it positive as much as possible, but let him know it is NOT okay to go in his big boy pants. Also, it's a good idea to take his portable potty chair with you whenever you won't be at home, and use a small heavy duty plastic garbage bag inside the bowl for easy disposal. I usually wait until my babies can walk AND talk before potty training. So far, Nathan is my oldest baby to start training and he is 19 months. All the others were right around one year old. So I think you are doing great! Keep up the good work. It's worth all the frustration and hard work, I promise. And you'll look back (hopefully) and think that it wasn't as hard as you thought it was going to be. I'll be praying for you. I'm going through it with Nathan right now too, and am praying for myself on a regular basis, so it won't be hard to remember you while I'm at it!

Shannon Smith said...

Hello Janelle,
No, I don't have any potty training advice to give at all!!
But, the pictures of Aaron are so cute! Have fun with this new phase of parenting.